In consultation with the COVID-19 advisors, and based on current trends in the evolution of COVID-19 in our region, Bishop Shane has announced that on September 1 2020, our diocese will move from RED to AMBER according to our In This Together plan (https://bit.ly/3j7Pft5). Accordingly, the Cathedral has now reopened for Sunday service, with restrictions. It has been a long summer and we have missed being together so we reopen "with restrictions" to test the waters and make sure we offer a safe experience for everyone. If you are interested in joining us we'd like to give you an idea of what to expect.
In this first stage, we will offer one service on Sunday morning at 10:30. Attendance will be limited to 50 people. We will remain closed during the week until further notice.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Pre-registration will be required either by email ([email protected]) or phone (613.236.9149). If you call and we don’t answer, please leave a message and we will call you back.
The office will confirm your booking for Sunday services making every attempt to be fair and ensure access to everyone who would like to return. If you don’t make the list for your first week, you will be given priority for your second request. If you have pre-registered and you feel at all unwell on Sunday, we ask that you please stay at home. If you are able to let us know by phone or email we might be able to offer the space to someone else.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Access to the building will be limited.
- Access will be by the glass entrance at 414 Sparks Street. Queen Street is not open Someone will greet you on the forecourt at that entrance to check you against the registration list.
- We ask that anyone wanting to meet to greet others do so before entering the building and in particular before entering the cathedral. Many who are returning to services appreciate the quiet time before the service for personal reflection. For this reason, we ask that when you enter the cathedral, you take your seat immediately and remain there throughout the service. Again, you are invited to meet with others and catch up on the news on the forecourt after the service.
- Access will be limited to the foyer and cathedral. Washrooms will be available at the coatroom. The lower level, the Great Hall, and Lauder Hall will remain closed at this time. There will not be any access by Queen Street.
- The coat room will be closed. You are asked to keep all belongings with you in the pew.
When you arrive:
- Masks are required and must be worn at all times inside the building throughout the service. It can be removed briefly for communion at the altar rail. Vented masks are not acceptable.
- There will be a plate for the offering available on entry. We will not be passing the offertory plate during the service. You may also choose to make your gift by e-transfer to [email protected] or by calling the office with credit card information.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available on entry, at various places in the foyer and the cathedral and we invite you to use them during your stay.
- The two washrooms on the foyer level are available and all other areas of the building remain closed (no access to the lower level, the Great Hall or Lauder Hall). Anyone wanting to visit the Columbarium must make arrangements before Sunday. It will otherwise not be open for general visiting.
- Let me know if you have any special needs including access to the elevator, hearing assist equipment etc? Please note that everything has been removed from the church including books and cushions.
- Removable items have been taken out of the church including books and cushions.
- The Order of Service will be available online for those who might want to download it and bring it on a phone or tablet. Print copies will be available.
- You will be required to sit in a designated place and are asked to remain in that place before and during the service (with the exception of communion). Please do not move around or change seats.
- Physical distancing must be maintained at all time.
- We will have a cantor to sing parts of the service and we remind worshippers that you are not permitted to sing any parts of the service.
- Communion will be by bread only and standing at the altar rail. We ask that you maintain 2 meter physical distancing as you approach for communion and again on returning to your seat.
- There will not be any Sunday School program and the familiar red bags will not be available at the rear of the church. If you are bringing children, please keep them with you at all times and consider bringing a book or small toy as appropriate.
After the service:
- Again at the end of the service you are welcome to take some time for personal reflection as you remain in your pew. We do ask that you leave the church promptly when you are done and make your way to the forecourt where the clergy will be available and where you can greet others who have been at church. Please be respectful of those who remain in the church with the expectation of quiet contemplation.
If you don’t feel well or anyone in your household is unwell we ask that you stay home and contact us to pre-register for another service.
If you have questions or need additional information or assistance, please contact the cathedral office by phone (613.236.9149 and leave a message) or email ([email protected]) and we will do our best to help.